10.17.2006

Dear Mr. Supercomputer

My tinkering with a friend's song/poem that I wrote as a poem:

staring down the stairs
at a door
through which
you'll appear.
soon enough, there'll be
a return.

staring down the lie
that floats around still
but as a whisper.
soon enough, I'll
only hear what I can see.

though I wish it did
and thought it could,
this trick can't make
anything disappear.

staring down the stairway
I'm not really waiting,
the most I can expect
is a specter.

staring down the lights
that line the corridor
everything is haloed.
soon enough, I'll
be blind in the dark.

though I wanted it to
and willed it so,
though I heard it could
and knew it must,
this door can't
open or close.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like that each piece is its own little metaphor for wanting that which can never be to use the trite phrase that you adeptly avoided. It's quite sad, but at least the speaker seems to be in the process of accepting their lot. It reminds me of the old stoic maxim, "The key to happiness is letting go of that which you cannot control."