1.10.2008

Sleeping Lessons

So I've been keeping something a bit secret. And I suppose I shouldn't. For probably as long as I can remember, I've had the notion that I would be immensely successful in the entertainment industry, in many of its venues. I've decided that I am going to seriously pursue one of those venues. Namely, I've been writing songs. I haven't told anyone about this because I'm not very confident in my ability to write songs or to perform them. On the other hand, I really want to have this ability, plus Chris seems to like what I've written so far. The process is going a little slowly since I'm still learning to play guitar and still need to learn to play piano. But I've written about ten songs so far--meaning that I have the words and the melody but can only perform them a capella. I also wanted to not tell anyone because when I finally get a demo recorded, I could enlist friends to listen to it under the guise that it wasn't me in order to get an honest and objective opinion of whether any of what I've done is worthwhile or not. Anyway, that's what I'm working on.

In other news, I found out some very interesting things last night. I stumbled across the bass player of My Brightest Diamond's blog. He wrote about the show Chris and I attended in Grand Rapids here, though he didn't mention us (which is a little disappointing--maybe we weirded him out a bit). I discovered, though, that he's younger than me, which was pretty surprising to me. I tend to be unprepared for people to be younger than I am since I'm used to being the youngest one in any particular group. It's also a little disorienting when someone is successful and famous (okay, semi-famous) and has accomplished this in less time than it will take you. Anyway, even more shocking is the fact that this guy is none other than John Lithgow's son!!!!! Holy shit!!!

No comments: