12.12.2006

The Wheel

There are now three, possibly four, instances of me mishearing a lyric from a song, and preferring that misheard one.

Instance #1 "Yellow" by Coldplay
Actual lyric:"For you I'd bleed myself dry"
What I heard: "For you I'd be myself [I don't know what]"
Actually, when I think about it, I think this was more of trying to recall the lyric and being incorrect, rather than actually mishearing it. Either way, "for you I'd be myself" is a really cool line and should be used somewhere.

Instance #2 "Never Is A Promise" by Fiona Apple
Actual lyric: "You'll say you'd never let me fall from hopes so high"
What I heard: "You'll say you'd never let me fall from heights so high"
The meaning of the actual lyric is superior, but I like the sound of mine.

Instance #3 "Tonight, Tonight" by Smashing Pumpkins
Actual lyric: "Believe in me as I believe in you"
What I heard: "Believe in me as I'm leaving you"
Undoubtedly, my version is better, albeit much darker. But I still stand by the belief that bittersweet is one of the best emotions out there.

Instance #4 "We Don't Need Another Hero"
Actual lyrics: "Give it all or nothing"
What I heard: "Is it all or nothing?"
Now, the judges are still out on this one. All the lyrics sites on the web claim the first version, but it really sounds like what I heard. And what I heard is much better. Less of a cliche, and once again darker, which, especially in art, tends to equal better.

5 comments:

CoachDub said...

I do like your version of the Smashing Pumpkins.
But I have always liked "for you I'd bleed myself dry" as a lyric, so I have to go with the original there.

Anonymous said...

I'm shocked that an owner of the Care Bears movie such as yourself would claim that darker is better in art.

CoachDub said...

I do like your version of the Smashing Pumpkins.
But I have always liked "for you I'd bleed myself dry" as a lyric, so I have to go with the original there.

undulatingorb said...

I do like the original Coldplay very much, but I like the sentiment of "for you I'd be myself" a little better.

What about Grumpy Bear? He was dark and brooding.

CoachDub said...

Yeah, I have no idea why my comment posted twice.