5.24.2006

I'm Going To Klown Kollege!

Good news: I now have a computador (whose name is Eliot)! Bad news: I won't have internet access until June 3rd (stupid Comcast). Today I listened to two songs that made me instantaneously absolutely happy and elated. The first was "Dead Man Walking" by David Bowie, which I listened to while waiting for the office to open and watching the rain come down outside the window. The second was when I once again listened to Colin Meloy in concert, specifically "Weird and Wonderful", the song he swore he would never write about having a child. Both are so very good and I will wait while everyone finds and gives them a listen...

In other bad news, I have found that I have a hole in my jeans, located on the inner thigh. So, for a little while today I was trying to take stairs one at a time so as not to exacerbate the condition, but it was so strange to go one step at a time that it didn't last very long. It's been about eight years now since I last used this mode of stair-stepping, usually taking them at least two at a time. So that was a bit strange and interesting. In my ongoing quest of eradicating fear (I wrote a bit about it in a blog on myspace after seeing V for Vendetta), I find that I'm not very good at it. And perhaps this entirely explains the motivation behind much of my not-so-proud-of-moments as of late. Someone just said 'sheets' and my mind immediately leapt to Shalamar's "Dancing In The Sheets". Anyway, here's a poem I just composed, I think I like it pretty well. Any suggestions for a title?

they're selling instant elation
on an infomercial, channel 3, 2am.
I noticed since I was awake
sitting up on my bed and staring
at the screen's projection on the wall.
I could hear the man telling
the woman, "Now you can be
happy, even in the dead of night!"
even in the dead of winter
when even the dead things are gone.
the screen went blue as they were
experiencing technical difficulties
and I wondered if this was the
right ambiance for contemplating
non-practicing atheists, at least
that's what he told me he was.
we missed the cabin in Wisconsin
the writing retreat that we ran away from
to drive South in the summer.
they were selling instant elation
on the roadside and he wanted
to stop, at least check out the prices
but we were going too fast, and
I noticed the man's flashy smile
only as he became a blur
in the rearview.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I find that adding a hole near my crotch really only necessitates underwear and provides pleasant breezes.

You know, a very good friend of mine commented about spending so much of his life living in fear after seeing V as well. Despite the horror of being tortured, I think that there is something attractive about what happened to Evey.

I hesitate to suggest a title because I think that I don't wish to presume to know what the poem is about. I do like it though. It's a little sad in that the guy is with the narrator and yet he still wants to stop for the hollow version of what he already has. Luckily they were going to fast. I wonder if the fact that the two were together caused them to go too fast to stop or thing that they were fleeing that caused them to go so fast.

undulatingorb said...

I've noticed your affinity for holes near the crotch area, not that I'm looking at your crotch...and I'm probably referring to not living in fear in the same way as your friend, but also in another way (which I'm about to blog about). I would also like to go through what Evey endured, and it's the part of me that wants to go to boot camp that motivates that. Thanks for the poem comments, very interesting.